Email addresses and phone numbers may add valuable information when used with names to resolve an individual’s identity. As with postal addresses, a critical step is hygiene.
- Phone numbers may be corrected using the following steps:
- Parse to identify components.
- Remove illegal characters.
- Identify or insert country code and local area code.
- Validate against the reference database.
- Format phone number.
The following steps may be used to cleanse a customer’s email address:
- Check the email format for compliance with internet standards (RFC 2822).
- Parse address into user and domain.
- Correct common domain errors.
- Search Domain Name System (DNS) to confirm that the domain exists.
With the postal address, email address, and phone number fields cleansed, standardized, and verified, it is now possible to compare records with each other for matching and reconciliation, which is the key to identity resolution and building the Golden Master Record for the Single Customer View.